Wednesday 31 August 2016

Disregard everything I said about No Man's Sky

Tomorrow, I'm going to trade in No Man's Sky.

I thought I loved No Man's Sky. I think I was just lying to myself. I think I had just forgotten what I was promised

Watching videos from the initial announcement up to a month (ish) before release made me cry a bit on the inside. Literally everything about the promo videos is amazing and looks like a bloody good game. But instead we were given....well....you know.

Looking at some of the things that were said about what No Man's Sky would include and how many of things are actually in the game, you just can't help but hate Hello Games.

I admired them at first, a small studio trying so hard for so long to create an incredible sci-fi adventure game. And what the produced isn't even close to what they promised.

Again, looking at the promo videos and comparing them to the finished game, you can see what is missing, and the list is long.

When it comes to promos, footage shown 3 years before the release of a game is going to look different when compared to the finished product. Which is fair. Some things are added, some things are changed, and some things removed altogether. And that is fine, as long as you address some of the features that have been removed and perhaps compensate for it.

If you look at some of the footage from around a month before release, it looks identical to the footage from 2/3 years ago. But the finished game is COMPLETELY different. Are you trying to tell me that you changed/removed that much from a game in one month? Nonsense. That is borderline false advertising.

When a small team takes on a big challenge, if it isn't quite up to scratch, they try and make it look as good as possible with what they have, admit their errors and add stuff in updates.

Hello Games have not done that. I mean, they are patching bugs, but they haven't seemed to apologise for basically selling us an unfinished pile of trash, nothing even close to what was shown in recent promo videos.

Just bear in mind, this game was delayed by about 2 months. Imagine what it would have looked like 2 months before it was released.

Hello Games promised us the universe, instead we got a crayon picture of the universe draw by a drunk, 3 year old ape.

Sorry for ranting*



*I'm not sorry at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment